Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sports Idioms

Sports Expressions or Idioms
I just got interested in doing more with this blog as a way of reviving my interest in the language.  So I joined a forum and started to respond to a post.  There was a question by someone about the word "playbook."

I googled around and found on vocabularyspellingcity a list of words for sports idioms.

Other terms on that list:  curveball, homerun, grand slam, first base, at bat, and last inning.  I tried to post a link to the list onto the forum but ran into a forum rule that doesn't let new members post links. I guess that makes sense but it does annoy me that I was trying to be helpful, chased down a list with sports expressions used in sentences and then couldn't actually provide it to them in a useful fashion.  I did find several other resources on figurative language which I've not played with for awhile:

Language arts lesson on figurative language. SpellingCity.com
Idioms or Slang Games. Vocabulary.co.il
Idioms Kids Games. LearningGamesforKids.com
Sports Idioms Site.
Jean Henry's blog on sports idioms including a post on Breasts and Curveballs!

BTW - I just found out that forum banned me for including references to just two of these resources on sports idioms.  So much for community....

No comments:

Post a Comment